Chairman’s Report to 31 December 2023
Thanks to everyone who came along to the AGM and for supporting our shows. It has been an extremely difficult couple of years for everyone due to the pandemic, but we are now back on track and the Society has survived if not thrived. This is, of course, thanks to our wonderful Committee members and the support of our members.
Firstly, I would like to thank my predecessor Alan Dallman for all the support he and his wife Anne, who was the immediate past Treasurer, gave to society and I am pleased to announce that we were able to present the RHS Recognition award to them.
Financially, we are in good shape but obviously, we have concerns about the number of members and exhibitors, and it would be lovely to have more younger exhibitors. We are always open to suggestions from members about how we can improve this situation and if you want to email us with your ideas, we will discuss them at our next committee meeting. We are also grateful to members who help on show days and if you feel you can contribute in some way, please let us know.
Annual General Meeting of the Society,
Tuesday, 16 May 2023 at 6pm at the Highgate Society, 10a South Grove, London N6 6BS.
1. Apologies for absence.
2. Minutes of last annual general meeting.
3. Matters arising from the minutes.
4. Chairman's Report.
5. Treasurers Report.
6. Approval of Treasurer's Report.
7. Membership Secretary's Report.
8. Election of officers and members of the Executive Committee.
MINUTES OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
HELD AT HIGHGATE SOCIETY 2.30PM 16 MARCH 2019
1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Were received Mrs S. Hurst, Mrs D. Sibley, Mrs P. Simons,
Mr G. Morley and Mrs Y. Desbois and Miss P. Furse.
2. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Were circulated to attending members and were approved
3. MATTERS ARISING: Outings: Future outings would be announced at a later date.
Produce: Ms Kruss suggested that there should be fewer sweet items on the produce stall.
4. CHAIRMAN'S REPORT: Had been circulated to members.
5. TREASURER'S REPORT: Ms Sheehan thanked Mrs Dallman who was standing down as Treasurer. Accounts were circulated to members attending the meeting. Ms Sheehan expressed thanks to Mr Richard McWilliam for auditing the accounts. Ms Sheehan explained the depreciation figure was for the show tables shown as a £395.00 loss which would be amortised over 5 years. Ms Kruss suggested we stop paying prize money.
6. ACCEPTANCE OF TREASURER'S REPORT & APPOINTMENT OF HON. AUDITOR:
The acceptance of the Treasurer's Report was proposed by Mrs Morley and seconded by Mr Roberts.
Ms Sheehan advised the meeting that Mr McWilliam had agreed to continue as Hon. Auditor for the coming year and was duly appointed.
7. MEMBERSHIP SECRETARY'S REPORT: Ms Probyn reported that the society had 155 members,
a net loss of 19 members over the year. Members were once again encouraged to personally recruit members and exhibitors.
8. ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND MEMBERS OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE: The Secretary announced that the remaining officers and members of the committee were willing to stand for a further year and were re-elected en bloc. Proposed by Mrs Dallman and seconded by Mrs Morley.
9. AOB: An increase in subscription fees from 31 December 2019. Ordinary Members £10.00,
Senior Citizens £8.00 (from £7.00 and £5.00 respectively) was approved. This was the first increase since 1 January 2008, and it would now be reviewed every three years.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 3.00pm and was followed by refreshments.
Those present: Mrs R. Stirling, Mr & Mrs A. Dallman, Ms J. Sheehan, Ms M. Probyn, Ms J. Kruss,
Mr & Mrs S. Marston, Mrs P. Giller, Mrs J. Morley, Mrs K. Leddy, Mr G. Sycamore, Ms J. Mann,
Mr P. Roberts, Mr B. Simpson and Ms Y. Greene.
Highgate Horticultural Society
Accounts for the year ending 31 December 2022
The Annual Accounts for 2022 are presented, covering the period 1 January 2022 – 31
This is the first year since 2019 that we have been able to present three shows.
In 2021 we resumed the shows in the Autumn.
The Income and Expenditure Account shows a surplus of £342. Expenditure totalled £2,133
and income was £2,475.
The majority of expenses are related to the shows – these amounted to £1,385. In addition, we have insurance and web fees. We purchased two SumUp machines so that non-cash payments could be made.
Subscriptions for the year totalled £721. £1,748 of income was received at the shows from sales of produce, teas, raffle and auction.
The Balance Sheet shows the accumulated funds which are represented in the bank accounts and cash held. The accumulated funds are £7,030. The total in the bank accounts is £6,610 and there is £420
held as cash.
Committee members are asked to note this report and the Accounts.
Treasurer February 2023
Income and Expenditure for the year ending 31 December 2022
Sales / other
(excess of expenditure
Hire of Halls etc.
Expenses (Set up/contribution)
Sum Up machines
(excess of income over
Balance Sheet as at 31 December 2022
Chairman: Roxane Stirling
Membership Secretary: Myfanwy Probyn
Treasurer: Jo Sheehan
Laura Boothman, Celia Davies, Yvonne Desbois,
Jill Marston, Steven Marston,
Gary Sycamore, Patrick Roberts
Roxane Stirling, Chairman,
26 Ashmount Road, N19 3BJ. Tel: 020 7263 6831
Myfanwy Probyn, Membership Secretary,
48 Brookfield Mansions, Highgate West Hill, N6 6AT. Tel: 07896 940 089
at beginning of year
for the period
at end of year
Equipment at cost
Cash in Hand